Sunday, May 2, 2010

Garden Time

A white tulip from the front yard.
My early garden. We planted the strawberries in Feb. when my mom was here and then before Justin got back we painted 3 discarded dresser drawers and tried to disguise them as planter boxes. I can't believe how quickly everything seems to be growing in these. I packed in onions, lettuce, spinach, carrots, tomatoes, and sweet peas. We are already harvesting the lettuce and spinach and the onion need to go next. Our first peas were enjoyed just yesterday and this first strawberry turned red today. Hooray for summer.
Square foot gardening, again. These might look familiar. Justin's parents were awesome to cut wood and haul it down for us and Justin put them together in cool 3x3ft planter boxes that are mobile. I think this blog got started with my excitement over the original garden boxes Justin made.
Our your gardener!
Mixing our perfect soil.
1 part peat moss + 1 part vermiculite + 1 part compost= rich fluffy soil!




2 comments:

Jess said...

wow! Those look really nice! Way to go guys! I can't wait to get things in this Monday in the community kids' garden. Man those look nice. How do you make em? (What tools did you need?) We definitely need to get some tools someday. :)

Jess said...

p.s. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I love you! :)