Tuesday, March 16, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Pea Soup

This might just be a tradition.
So we plan to have Lucky Charms for breakfast. (or marshmallow mateys that we call lucky charms.) And for dinner we plan to have Pea Soup. I totally love this soup. My kids wrinkled their nose at it the first time but the second time I made it they said they loved it. So I thought it would be fun to make for St. Patrick's Day. Of course I like to make it with Jeanette's fabulous crescent rolls. Yum.

Cream of Fresh Pea Soup

2 TB Butter

1 TB chopped Onion

2 Cup Fresh or Frozen Peas

2 Cup Chicken Broth

2 Leaves of Lettuce

1 Cup Cut Carrots

2 Cup Cream

Cook together butter and onion for 5 min.

Add Peas, Broth, Lettuce, and Carrot

Cook until soft then blend in blender.

Pour back into the pot and add cream cook till warm.

Serves 6

(I blend half of it at a time so it doesn’t spill out of the blender. I hear it is also wise to use a glass blender so the hot soup doesn't crack the plastic. Do a quick pulse or two at the beginning with the lid on and let the steam out while it is off a time or two to start so the hot steam doesn’t blow the top off. Then blend well. You can also add a little cream if you don’t have enough liquid in the blender. You also need to pour the first blended mixture into a bowl while you pour the rest of the veggies from the pot into blender. I know the lettuce sounds odd to cook but makes the soup fresh. Also I have used milk instead of cream for those who like it less creamy.)

Rolls-

2 cups warmed milk

2 TBSP dry yeast

1/2 cup shortening or butter

2 tsp salt

1/2 sugar

2 eggs

5 1/2 to 6 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in milk, add the rest of the mix one at a time. Mix well, let the mix rise in a sprayed pan and covered. (should be a little sticky) Divide the doubled mix into 2 balls. Roll one ball on the sprayed counter into a 16" circle. Cut with pizza cutter into 12 triangles. Roll up starting at the wide edge of the wedge into crescent shaped rolls. Place on greased (big)cookie sheet. 3 rows of 8. Repeat for second ball. Let rise. Bake at 350 for 12-15 min.

I LOVE THIS RECIPE. Yum!!

2 comments:

Bonnie-Jean said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try it sometime, not tomorrow because I'm too miserable to stand that long, but after baby's born for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jeanette Roylance said...

I love that you have been posting more often! Helps me feel connected to you even though you are so far! I made rolls yesterday - 6 doz. 2 for the ward adult dinner, 2 for another family, 2 for my kids. Sadly I didn't eat even a bite! Trying to lose those last few pounds that are hanging on. The pea soup sounds amazing! I've always loved pea soup and have never made it myself. Maybe I'll try it! Thanks for the recipe.